Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience treating cats, dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, and iguanas
49838867

Can you use bacitracin on a small wound on a cat What if

Can you use bacitracin on a small wound on a cat? What if they lick the bacitracin, is it dangerous. THANKS Linda
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Kara :

Yes you can apply Bacitracin to a small wound but first you want to clean it thoroughly with warm water and a dilute solution of anti-bacterial soap. Warm compress the wound for 5 to 10 minutes to remove any debris, then cleanse it gently with the soap solution and a clean cloth, dry gently, then apply ointment with a clean Q-tip so you don't contaminate the wound.

Dr. Kara :

It's important that she not lick the wound as that will recontaminate it. Licking a little bacitrcin won't hurt her though. If she continues to lick using an Elizabethan collar may help.

Dr. Kara :

How did she get the wound? If it's from her licking because of allergies she may start again once the collar is off and the wound is healed. If it's from an injury this might be a treatment that will work. If the area around the wound becomes red or swollen or there's a green or yellow discharge she needs to see her veterinarian.

Dr. Kara :

Do you have any questions?

Customer :

How can I get her to not lick it. I dont have an elizabethan collar. ?At the shelter she was treated for ear mites successfully.

Customer :

But she got the wound from scratching the area behind her ear. They treated it with antibiotic ointment till

Dr. Kara :

You can try feeding her something delicious or playing her favorite game until she's distracted and has forgotten.

Customer :

i adopted her, but it seems like it still bothers her. Maybe it's itchy or not fully healed.

Dr. Kara :

Yes maybe it is itchy in which case cortisone cream may be the better option.

Dr. Kara :

How long has she had it? Is it getting bigger?

Customer :

No its getting smaller. She had it for a few weeks in the shelter. I just want to make sure that anything I apply is safe if

Customer :

she does lick it.

Dr. Kara :

Cortisone cream would be fine too if she licked a little as it's a low concentration.

Dr. Kara :

That's great it's getting smaller.

Customer :

When she cleans herself she licks her paw and rubs it on that area.

Dr. Kara :

You don't need to apply a large amount of ointment, just dab the area with the amount on the end of a Q-tip. The cortisone cream may be soothing enough she'll forget about bothering it if you distract her for 5 mins or so.

Customer :

OK. and how many times a day should I apply ointment.

Dr. Kara :

Twice daily should be fine for 4 to 5 days, then once daily for another 4 or 5 days and that should do it.

Dr. Kara :

Make sure you start by cleaning and drying it the first time so no bacteria is trapped under the ointment.

Customer :

great. thanks so much for your help.

Dr. Kara :

After that if she's not bothering it you should be fine. Thanks for your prompt answers to my questions and good luck with your little one.

Customer :

Take care. bye

Dr. Kara :

Anyhting else?

Dr. Kara :

You too, thanks!

Dr. Kara :

Please press accept if you feel I've helped.

Customer :

no thats it. thanks ag

Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience treating cats, dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, and iguanas