Experience:  dasdasd

pomeranian: in renal failure..lobster and love, Also Science Diet

Customer Question

pomeranian in renal failure. Vet did blood test today. Said she's living on lobster and love, Also Science Diet KD. THe #'s indicate she's only got 15% kidney function or less at this point. She was in the Vet's for 3 eight hour day to bring the #'s down to no avail. She's benn getting subcutaneous fluids daily. She eats some and has a few dog bones daily. She's on aluminum Hydroxide, Ralgan for tummy, and tagamet. Is there a way to reverse this to give her a longer life? She's only 8. This has been going on since Sept. 9, 2010.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 6 years ago.
  1. When you say she was at the vet for 3 days, was she on IV fluids at that time?
  2. Has she had an ultrasound of her kidneys?
  3. Has she had a bacterial urine culture or been on antibiotics?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She stayed 8 hrs. per day on IV. No ultrasound. No culture.
Expert:  brisadog replied 6 years ago.

I would suggest further characterization of her kidney problems. Most often, dogs and cats have chronic renal failure which is due to general loss of function over time. However, renal failure can also be caused acutely by infection diseases (ascending pyelonephritis or leptospirosis for example), toxins, select medications, etc.

I would consider a urine culture, leptospirosis titers, and an ultrasound to search for an underlying cause. Some conditions may be reversible with appropriate treatment.

However, if she does have chronic renal failure, it is not a good sign that she isn't responding to IV fluid therapy. At that point, I counsel my clients to monitor the pet's quality of life closely. When they stop eating, become withdrawn or depressed, I think it is time to consider humane euthanasia.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please click on the green Accept button. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Thanks.