Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

I believe my dog has granulomatous meningoencephalitis. Her

Customer Question

I believe my dog has granulomatous meningoencephalitis. Her weight is 44 pounds (20 kilo).
can you advise the doseage of prednisone.
Thank you,
Edward H. Laughlin, MD
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.
Good Morning, Doctor...

What makes you think he has this condition?

What symptoms is your girl showing?

The normal dose of prednisone for this condition is 1 mg per pound daily in the morning so for your girl, you would give roughly 45-50 mg daily in the morning.

Let me know, Doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am having trouble communicating with you.l
She is very lethargic, stands and has intermittent tremor. She has increasing weakness of her frront and nack legs. And this moring she has not eaten.
Oh my! I am sorry for this confusion...the web site sometimes has some problems.

If this condition is due to Lymes Disease, this could cause similar symptoms as you describe. This diagnosis of Granulomatous meningioencephalitis will have to be done by Mri and/or spinal tap to know for sure. AS you probably already know, the symptoms depend on the spot in the brain that is affected and your dog does follow these symptoms.

As you are aware, prednisone will suppress the immune system so it is extremely important, Doctor, that you comfrim this as the diagnosis before attempting treatment. IF this is another infectious process, his could cause more harm than good for your girl.

If this is confirmed as a Granulomatous meningioenceohalitis, the prednisone combined with Procarbazine has been shown to be more effective.

This site has more detailed information:

Good luck!!