Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship, Veterinary Acupuncture trained, Wildlife and Exotics

my 11yr old labardor is drinking a lot more water then normal.

my 11yr old labardor is drinking a lot more water then normal. She is weeing a lot more and even wees while she is laying down. she has a lot of hair loss. her back legs seem very weak and struggles to get up and doesn't stand fot long they also click. what is wrong and what do we do. thank you
Hi there,

Sorry to hear that your pup is having trouble.

There are many things that cause polyuria and polydypsia (increased thirst and urination) in dogs, but your further description of weakness and hair loss may help narrow it down.

The first things that come to mind are endocrine diseases such as diabetes, hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing's Disease), or hypoadrenocorticism (Addison's Disease). The most likely culprit in this case is hyperadrenocorticism given the hair loss and weakness. Diabetes typically includes weight loss despite an increased appetite.

There are other causes, but they are much less common, so you should rule out the above first. Usually, your veterinarian will start with a simple blood chemistry and then tailor further testing based on those results.

Hope that helps!! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Paul
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
she is 11years old not a pup
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

so what can be done if it is addison disease,what causes it and will she be ok

I meant pup as in dog.

As I said, this is more likely to be Cushing's Disease, or hyperadrenocorticism. This is an overproduction of some of the substances produced by the adrenal glands and is usually caused by a tumor of the pituitary gland or adrenal gland. Treatment is dependent on severity of clinical signs and may involve surgical removal of the affected adrenal gland and/or medical management with drug therapy.

As to your question: Addison's Disease is a deficiency in one or more of the substances normally secreted by the adrenal gland. If it is Addison's Disease, she can be placed on supplementation, either a monthly injection or oral version, to replace the deficient substances. These dogs typically do just fine, though they may need additional supplementation in times of stress and their bloodwork needs to be monitored more frequently.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Paul
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
she has had blood tests done and they have come back all normal. that was a couple of months ago and she has got a lot worse is this causing her any pain. so is there a certain test the vet should be doing if so what and if she has one of what you think, would the treatment be expensive.
If it has become worse since the blood tests were done, it is worth rechecking--early stages of the diseases may not be picked up by routine bloodwork screening. I do not know what tests were run by your veterinarian, but testing for both diseases usually begins with an ACTH Stimulation test. This is usually all that is needed to diagnose Addison's Disease, however in some cases further testing such as a Low or High Dose Dexamethasone Suppression Test is needed to confirm Cushing's Disease.

These are not generally painful conditions.

Medical treatment does not tend to be very expensive and can be rewarding, particularly in Addison's Disease. Surgical treatment for Cushing's Disease, if it as an option, is usually done by a surgical specialist and involves a couple days of hospitalization, so that route can get expensive if it is necessary (e.g. not able to control Cushing's Disease medically).

Does that all make sense?

Dr. Paul