Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship, Veterinary Acupuncture trained, Wildlife and Exotics

my two year old doxin has in the last two weeks developed small

my two year old doxin has in the last two weeks developed small white circle,some turning red from her neck area,down her chest and abdominal area.what does this mean,i do walk her sometimes in rural area of hemet,ca.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Denver ER Doc replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, sorry to hear your pup is having trouble.

Is it a single spot that is growing, or several spots? Are you able to post a picture?

Dr. Paul
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
started out on neck area as dry spots about the size of a pea which are most prominent.then down chest and abdominal area,a few seem to be turning red,maybe 6 or 7 total in progression. i hope this can help.sorry can't do a picture
will okay your ans. thank you - ron jackson
OK, thanks for the information.

Do they seem to be bothering her? Is she scratching at them? Any discharge?

Do they look like this?

Dr. Paul
Here is a closer view:

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no protrusion,much smaller and circular in the area i described. could they be just dry spots? she doesn't scratch at them.i know it's hard to tell me what it is .should i take her in tomorrow or next week be okay?
the last image looks very similar that was just posted. probably yes it looks about the same.
Dry spots are a possibility, but they are usually not round and do not spread.

Small, hairless circles that have some redness and are spreading are suspicious for ringworm, which is not actually a worm at all but a fungal infection of the skin. This is what both pictures above show, but the bottom one is a close-up of the actual skin lesion. If this is a possibility, you should get her in to have it confirmed as soon as possible because it can be spread to humans as well.

Other possibilities from what you describe would be folliculitis (inflamed hair follicles), skin infection with mites or bacteria, or contact allergies, however what you describe sounds like a classic ringworm lesion. Since it is transmissible to humans, I would play it safe and get it checked out as soon as you can.

Hope that helps!! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Paul