Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice

I am not sure who to address on this website. I have a Red

I am not sure who to address on this website. I have a Red Claw Australian Blue Lobster. He has just molted and measures up to 7 inches in length. Tonight, I made a mistake by leaving a space between the filter and the wall (I was changing filter catriges) and he fell out (he climbs on the filter tube). When I got him back in the aquarium he had a cracked "nose" (a triangle shaped growth on top of his head, between his eyes) and broken antennas (one antenna was missing about an inch, the other was cracked in the middle). These are the injuries I have observed so far. I am very upset at he moment because now I don't know what to expect. I know their claws, etc. grow back, but I am not sure about the "nose" part. Is there anything I can do to speed up the healing process, any special diet? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank You. Elena R.
P.S. I don't want to sound obsessive, but we are "responsible for those we have tamed".
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello Elena, I'm Dr, Bob.
This is probably the most unusual question I've been asked! I'm sorry the answer has taken so long to get back to you.
Lobsters are pretty tough creatures, but they're not structurally designed to do a lot of falling onto hard surfaces! Having just molted, his shell probably hasn't hardened yet, thus was more easily damaged than it normally would have been. It is also going to be with him for a while as he gradually outgrows it, so a repair is needed.
While I can't claim to be a lobster repair man, I think you can treat his shell as we would treat a turtle with a broken shell. A patch should be able to be made with 5 minute epoxy.
Dry his shell around the crack, and apply the epoxy over the area. Make the patch a little thicker than the shell, and as smooth as possible, overlapping the edges of the crack by 1/8 of an inch if you have room.
The idea is to restore the structural integrity to his shell, and prevent the entry of pathological organisms.
When he sheds again, the antennae should regrow, the patch will be discarded with the old shell, and hopefully, he'll be just as good as he was before the fall.
If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in practice