Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery

Our rabbits mated straight after our female gave birth and

Customer Question

Our rabbits mated straight after our female gave birth and it appears now, 3 and a helf weeks on, that we are very near having more babies. How can we prepare the hutch as the young ones are still in the nest box and feeding from Mum? Where can we set up for her to have the new babies?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Steven Osborne :

Hi, I'm Dr. Steve This is a bit of a challenge. Are the young bunnies eating any solid food at all?

Customer :

Yes, all 6 are eating EVERYTHING that we put in front of them but Mum is still feeding them as I say her doing that last night.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Ok thanks for the information. I think it is time to remove the babies from mom so that she can develop some colostrum fo rthe new litter, This will also give her a little break from producing milk for 2 litters straight. You can clean out the old nest box like you typically do and then be ready for the new litter. Be sure to keep plenty of food and water in front of the first litter so they will stay healthy. Good Luck. Please click the accept button if this has helped or the reply button if you have further questions. Thank you

Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience: 20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery
I just provided feedback for you and didn't notice until after it was posted that you gave me a bonus. I am very appreciative for that and wish you well. Thanks again!