Dr. M. Vitucci MS, DVM
Dr. M. Vitucci MS, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Masters in Physiology (OSU), DVM OSU ('06), Accreditations in multiple orthopedic surgeries
48254283

MY DOG HAS HAD HER MONTH SERIES OF ADEQUAN SHOTS-2XS A WEEK

Customer Question

MY DOG HAS HAD HER MONTH SERIES OF ADEQUAN SHOTS-2XS A WEEK FOR 4 WKS.HAD ONE SHOT LAST WEEK AND ONE THIS WEEK.WHILE 2CE A WEEK I NOTICED A GREAT IMPROVEMENT, ON ONCE A WEEK I HAVE NOTICE HER SYMPTOMS AGAIN IS THIS NORMAL..CAN SHE GO BACK TO TAKING SHOTS 2CE A WEEK.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. M. Vitucci MS, DVM replied 6 years ago.

Hi there...im glad to hear that adequan has helped her out a bit. Aqequan should be used in combination with other methods to aleviate pain associated with arthritis. I see that you are using Rimadyl. This is a good drug but I have to tell you that there are current studies that show that other drugs may have a better anti-inflammatory and pain relief with less long term side effects. Such drugs are previcox, metacam, deramaxx, and zubrin. These drug are more selective for an enzyme called cycloxygenase II. This plays a vital role in developing pain and is blocked by these drugs.

You may also want to consider drugs that protect the cartilage like glucosamine and chondrotin. These are crucial to joint health. The most widely sold vet product is cosequin or dasaquin. These are available from you vet and have excellent results because they help in promoting good joint fluid and act as anti-oxidants at the joint level.

To more specifically address your question...i would continue the every other week injections of adequan and start additional therapy. In the longrun this will be cheeper and will probably give your dog a better quality of life (less pain). I hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

m. vitucci MS, DVM

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is it normal for her to regress when going to once a week on the adequan shots? i am a little nervous and i dont know what to expect, thank you

Yes...this can be normal. The reason why most orthopedic inclined vet spread it out a bit is because adequan is expensive and they work best when in conjunction with other drugs (the term is synergistically). I perform many orthopedic surgeries (TTA, TPLO, total hip replacements) and i havent ever used rimadyl for orthopedic pain. My professional opinion is to try a different non-steroidal and add dasaquin. I very rarely need to use adequan for arthritis. an additional drug called tramadol (ultram) can be used for pain...its very cheep and works great.

Dr. V

do you have anymore questions that i may help you with?

M. Vitucci MS DVM