Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior

My chihuahua suffers from patellar lunation. We have taken

My chihuahua suffers from patellar lunation. We have taken her to the vet on other occasions for her back left knee and had surgery. Just minutes ago, she appears to have badly hurt her back left leg. This leg has also been diagnosed with patellar lunation in the past, but we treated with metacam. It appears that tonight she has aggravated it again and she is now shaking. She is not whimpering but is visibly in pain. We will definitely take her in to the vet tomorrow, but want to know if there is any point taking her in to the ER tonight. If we don't take her in, what can we do tonight to lessen the pain? (or should we just take her in)
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Christian K. :

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer.

Dr. Christian K. :

Have you already given a dose of metacam?

JACUSTOMER-0vbr6qqy- : No unfortunately we don't have any with us and I'm not sure where we can get any?
Dr. Christian K. :

Has she had any medications lately? How much does she weigh? Does she have any other medical conditions?

JACUSTOMER-0vbr6qqy- : No medications lately. She weighs approx 4 pounds. She has a mild heart murmur.
Dr. Christian K. :

Try giving her a 1/4 of an 81mg aspirin tonight. Only give one dose since your vet may want to prescribe something different tomorrow. The ER vet would have stronger meds but if that works tonight you can wait until morning.

JACUSTOMER-0vbr6qqy- : Okay but if she takes the aspirin and she is still in pain we should take her to the ER?
Dr. Christian K. :

I would then. She can get something stronger at that point.

JACUSTOMER-0vbr6qqy- : Okay thank you. So just to confirm I should give her 20 mg of Aspirin. Sorry Ive never given her meds that the vet didn't prescribe so I just want to make sure
Dr. Christian K. :

No problem. The dose is about 10mg per kg. She is about 1.8kg so that is about 20mg. Good luck. I hope she feels better.

JACUSTOMER-0vbr6qqy- : Thank you so much,
Dr. Christian K. :

You are welcome. Good night.

JACUSTOMER-0vbr6qqy- : Really appreciate it!
Dr. Christian K. :

You're welcome.

Dr. Christian K. :

If you have more quesitons please let me know.