Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior

Im again writing with regards to my 7 year old dachshund with

I'm again writing with regards XXXXX XXXXX 7 year old dachshund with the chronic peeing problem. This happens at night, where she weanst walk around in the yard and pee dozens of times. Recently she peed and I noticed it had a pinkish color.

Thanks for your help,

Alan
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Christian K. :

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer.

Dr. Christian K. :

When did this start? Is she spayed? Is she eating, drinking and otherwise active? Has she had this problem before?

Customer :

This started about two weeks ago, but getting more severe. She is spayed. And she is otherwise fine. She has not had this problem before.

Dr. Christian K. :

Thank you for the information. The pinkish color you are seeing is blood in her urine. When a dog pees this often it usually means there is bladder pain. When even a small amount of urine builds up in the bladder it will cause the pain and these symptoms. Here are the 3 main possible causes:

Urinary tract infections will cause blood to appear in the urine and are more common in female animals. Symptoms include painful urination, having to urinate more often in smaller amounts and drinking more water. Urinalysis and sometimes a urine culture are necessary to diagnose an infection. Antibiotics are necessary to clear the problem.

Bladder stones are also common in pets and are caused by many different types of stones. Symptoms are very similar to urinary tract infection. Most stones can be seen on x-ray but a few require ultrasound to visualize. Occasionally stones also appear in the kidneys or other parts of the urinary tract. There are times when stones can be dissolved with diet but surgery is often required to remove them. The stones can then be sent for analysis to determine the cause and the best way to prevent them from returning. Usually prescription diets are the most common way to prevent return of the stones. Here’s a link: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/urolithiasis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Bladder cancer is rare but symptoms are very similar to urinary tract infections. Ultrasound and biopsy are usually required to diagnose cancers and treatment usually involves surgery and medications.

She definitely needs to be seen by a vet. The first step would be a urinalysis and if stones are suspected perhaps an x-ray.

Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience: 12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior