Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my cat scratched his neck raw and it looks soar feels like

my cat scratched his neck raw and it looks soar feels like leather but isnt having a problem drinking but when he is done drinkin he still tries to swollow and like his lips for a bout five min after. will it heal on its own or should i rush him to the vet?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Where exactly is scratch, where the collar was?

2- Is he licking it or using the back legs?

3- Have you checked for fleas?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sort of where the collar was its on the bottom of his jaw down his neck

hes not trying to lick it and i checked for flees and ticks

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

The first thing you need to do is make certain he is not inflicting further damage by licking or scratching. If necessary, you may need to place an ecollar on to stop him from scratching or licking. Clean the area with an antibacterial soap twice a day, dry and apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. If no significant improvement is seen in 2-3 days have your vet take a look at this lesion.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.