Dr. Gray
Dr. Gray, Veterinarian
Experience:  Purina Pet Nutrition Award, Member of the AVMA, MVMA and AAHA
25371189

my german shepherd (4 yrs old) has been limping badly for 2

my german shepherd (4 yrs old) has been limping badly for 2 days now. She is otherwise happy, playful and is eating well. I can't see any visible injury or feel any swelling. Could it be a sprain? Should I take her to the vet?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gray replied 4 years ago.

Hi there!

I am sorry to hear about your dog and I hope to help. I just have a few questions. Which leg seems to be bothering her? Has this ever happened before? Did you see anything happen (like and injury)? Does it seem to be getting better, worse, or staying the same?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its her back left leg and it hasn't happened before. She was bugging a cat that was trying to hide and we just heard her yelp but didn't see what happened. Its no worse definitely, but I'm not reallyl sure that its improved either.
Expert:  Dr. Gray replied 4 years ago.
Large breed dogs such as German Shepards and prone to a couple different injuries, a few of which happen to their back legs. It is possible she strained something, but mild injuries usually tend to improve over time. Is she using the back leg at all? Is there any swelling?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't see or feel any swelling. She is using it and when she is just walking the limp is mild. When she starts to trot or run she is lifting the foot up. I've just been out with her though and she is still trying to run and wants to play (but I'm not letting her at the moment - keeping the walks short too)
Expert:  Dr. Gray replied 4 years ago.
Good idea to restrict activity. She could have injured her knee. Sometimes dogs with a knee (cruciate) injury use the leg during a walk but pick up the leg to trot or run. I would recommend a trip to your vet for a full exam. A cruciate problem can usually be diagnosed on exam. No matter what the cause though, your vet will be able to give your girl some good pain meds to help her feel better and possibly fix the underlying problem. Please let me know if you need any more info and best wishes!
Dr. Gray, Veterinarian
Experience: Purina Pet Nutrition Award, Member of the AVMA, MVMA and AAHA