Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

dog had yeast infection. It cleared up but now he is he is

Customer Question

dog had yeast infection. It cleared up but now he is he is itching all the time and is getting bald spots. He smells awful.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Scott :

Hello there,

Dr. Scott :

How old is the dog?

Dr. Scott :

What breed?

Dr. Scott :

Was the yeast infection on the skin?

Dr. Scott :

How was it treated?

Dr. Scott :

Is the coat greasy to the touch?

Dr. Scott :

How long has this been going on?

Customer :

as far as I know the dog is around 6 years old. He is a medium size dog with lots shaggy hair. He has a short snout, big paws and is mainly black with gold spots above his small eyes and has golden paws. Yes the yeast infection was on his skin.

Dr. Scott :

How was it treated?

Is the coat greasy to the touch?

How long has this been going on?

Customer :

anti-biotics

Customer :

greasy and sometimes powdery really gross feeling

Customer :

4-5 months

Customer :

what else can we try, more anti-biotics....we did a month

Customer :

any shampoo or home remedy...the dog is miserable and lo sing all it's hair

Customer :

the dog was a rescue and we cannot afford to take it back to the vet, but it can't stop scratching or smelling god-awful

Dr. Scott :

If the dog has a yeast infection antibiotics will not help. The dog needs to be on an anti-fungal, like ketoconazole, usually for 3-4 weeks. Medicated shampoo, like Ketochlor, also helps. if the dog feels greasy he likely has seborrhea. This causes excess oil to be produced by the skin and can be a primary inherited problem or secondary to an allergic problem. These cases are not simple or cheap to diagnose and treat. Most cases require skin scrapes, skin biopsies and long term medications. The only thing to try at home is oral benadryl at 1/2-1 mg per pound body weight every 8-12 hours as needed for the itch and an anti-fungal shampoo from the pet store. The prognosis for a cure is not good if the problem has been going on for months. Treating these cases is expensive and frustrating as most cannot be cured.