Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

my little bichon is drinking eccessive amounts of water for

my little bichon is drinking eccessive amounts of water for the last month and she has to pee every hour or so also she seems a lot weaker and can no longer jump up on her bed I have had to build a ramp so that she can walk up.She is 14 years old so maybe this is normal for a dog of this age.
Please advise thank you
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.
HI there.

This excessive thirst and urination is usually due to Diabetes if your girl is spayed. This can be hard in your girl's system so it is best to have your vet examine her and check her glucose levels. If she has this, there are treatments for this.

If she has arthritis from old age, aspirin at 5 mg per pound of her weight every 12 hrs will ease her discomfort. It is also good to put her on a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin which can be purchased at the pet store.

Have your vet examine her soon to determine what is causing this excessive thirst.

Good Luck!