Ask Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP Your Own...

Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Veterinarian
Experience:  >10 years practicing veterinary medicine including exotics, fish, reptiles. Canine/feline specialist

My rabbit is bleeding from vagina or rectum. Shes pregnant

My rabbit is bleeding from vagina or rectum. She's pregnant but she has never bled before with her past litters. The blood is like jelly-like.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question - I just came online and saw your post.

Are you with her now? If so, can you gently lift her up and examine her bottom?

Her vulva will be below the anus. Can you tell where the blood is coming from?

Any other symptoms - diarrhea, is she eating, anything else?

Sincerely,
Dr. Devlin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She's not eating and hasn't for the last 2 days. She appears to be bleeding closest to her tail.
It is very important that she be seen by a rabbit veterinarian as soon as possible.

I am very concerned with the loss of appetite. GI stasis is an emergency. Fluids, medications and force feedings may be in order.

The bleeding could have several causes. We do see rectal polyps. It could also be coming from the urinary tract (such as with infections or stones) or from the reproductive tract. Your rabbit could also have endometritis with vaginal bleeding. She may be behaving as though she is pregnant (nestling, swelling of the mammary gland, hair loss...) with this problem. Also, and I do not want to alarm you, but we can see uterine cancer even in young rabbits. Again, I do not want to alarm you, but want you to be prepared when you see your vet.

In addition, if is is coming from the rectum, clotting disorders can cause the bleeding that you are seeing.

A physical exam and possibly x-rays, ultrasound, and / or blood work is in order.

I hope this helps - please let me know how else I can help, and let me know what you find.
Sincerely,
Dr. Laura
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Your answer has many different possibilities. I was hoping you could answer it more specifically given my observations. She isn't bleeding anymore and her appetite has gotten better.

I mentioned that the blood was coming from the part closest to the tail and it was jelly-like. I didn't see anything in your answer addressing that.
Thank you. I'm glad that you haven't noticed any more bleeding. I think it is still important to have her checked by your vet, and even possibly to check her RBC count and hemoglobin to assess for anemia.

Yes, in my previous post I mentioned rectal polyps as a possible cause. Also, I mentioned a bleeding abnormality such as a clotting problem that could cause bleeding from the rectum.

Blood mixed with mucous from the GI tract can have a jelly-like appearance. I mentioned the others because it is more common to see bleeding from the urinary and reproductive tracts then the rectum, and felt it was important to mention those, just in case the blood was smeared/ahdered to the rectum from sitting in it.

Please let me know if you have other questions or if I can help with anything else. I hope she is going to be fine, but I am concerned about her, too.

Sincerely,
Dr. Laura
Experience: >10 years practicing veterinary medicine including exotics, fish, reptiles. Canine/feline specialist