Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Keeping dog for a friend. He wants to get rid of dog. 12 yr

Keeping dog for a friend. He wants to get rid of dog. 12 yr old mongrel. Real nice dog. Arrived in present situation due to prev owner dying. dog appears to have a bad molar infection on lower left side. Drools a lot for type of dog. Really bad breath. I'm currently unemployed and cannot afford to take dog to vet. Owner will be back in a week and he has no interest. Would keep if I could. what can be done? currently administering low-dose aspirin twice a day which seems to improve his life style.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.
Hi there.

If you cannot get this guy to a vet for treatment, then the next best thing to do is to purchase a peroxide dog toothpaste at the pet store. Put a string if this paste on your finger and spread this as best you can on his gums and teeth. This peroxide will help kill of some of the bacteria that are causing this guys discomfort.

Also, give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound of his weight every 12 hrs to decrease his discomfort. Check to see that you are dosing him with the correct dose.

If this is a tooth abscess, this may resolve if the tooth is decayed enough to fall out and then he will be cured.

Good Luck!!
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.