Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of eight years in small animal practice in England
40862463

My cat ia a russian blu, one year hold. Nowadays is scratching

My cat ia a russian blu, one year hold. Nowadays is scratching and hurting the skin. I know that pofilaxis with Stronghold stopo it. but here's the question: during summer he had an episode of chronic dhiarrea, now it has just resolved and the cat doesn'take any drug at all.He looks in a good fit, now. I can do the Stronghold profilaxis?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 4 years ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you and your cat. As long as he is eating normally, drinking normally and bright in himself (with no diarrhoea) then you can use the Stronghold on him. I would wait at least a week between the resolution of the diarrhoea and the Stronghold as using it too quickly might make his diarrhoea recur.

On a related note, if he carries on scratching after you have used the Stronghold it would be worthwhile getting him to your vets as he could need some antibiotics. When a cat scratches and nibbles at the skin it is very easy for them to cause a skin infection - which itself is itchy and causes scratching, so it tends to circulate. If he has a skin infection then you would need to give him a course of antibiotics to solve the problem.

I hope this helps - any questions just hit 'reply' and I will get them and get back to you. Otherwise if you are satisfied with this advice please hit 'accept' and allow JustAnswer to process your deposit. Good luck, Rosie.
Rosie_MRCVS, Veterinarian
Experience: BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of eight years in small animal practice in England