Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.
Well, a few points to discuss.
First, with chronic loose bowels, and negative fecal tests that other tests that really should be considered include:1. A basic blood profile and it MUST include a thyroid level to check for hyperthyroidism (even if maintaining weight).
2. An abdominal ultrasound to get a good look at the intestinal wall for thickness or changes to support inflammatory bowel disease.
In the absence of nothing else working here are a few suggestions:
1. Some cats with IBD will do better on all canned diets. Something to consider
2. A trial on flagyl (metronidazole). It is an antibiotic with anti-inflammatory benefit within the intestinal tract. Great in situations like this.
3. A steroid trial. Yes! Treatment with some prednisone, which would be one of the treatments of choice for inflammatory bowel disease.
4. Lastly, to supplement a medication like Flagyl, or a trial on prednisone, a product called Rx Clay, is a wonderful supplement to help firm up the poops.
I hope that info helps.
If there is anything I have not covered for you, please use the REPLY button, and I will happily continue to chat. I hope you have found my advice helpful or informative. Please remember to click the "ACCEPT" button (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBING MEMBER). Just Answer will not credit me for the time assisting you, and it helps me to recognize that we are finished. Leaving feedback and a bonus is not required, but is greatly appreciated!
Please excuse any delays in my responses, as I regularly attend to hospitalized patients and daily examinations. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion and follow-up, if needed.
If you would like to ask any NEW questions in the future, you may request me through my profile @