Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

My baby bearded dragon (few months, defiantly under a year)

My baby bearded dragon (few months, defiantly under a year) is not eating. Any ideas or suggestions
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Is your beardie interested in the insects (does he track them or try to strike) or is he just ignoring them?

What is the temperature of his environment (basking and cool)

What is the humidity level of his enclosure?

When was his last shed? Is he currently shedding?

Is he active or does he just tend to hang out in one place through the day?

Is he your only bearded dragon? If not is he alone in the cage or does he have a partner?

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sometimes he looks at the crickets but most of the time he just ignores them.

The basking temp is about 95-100 degrees and the cool area is around 80-85 degrees.

The humidity is usually low although I do keep a water bowl in his tank at all times.

I've never seen him shed since I got him on August 14.

He's pretty active. He loves being taken out of his tank and will even strike at the computer screen sometimes if he's sitting on the keyboard which he loves to do. His behavior hasn't changed but he seems very skinny.

He is my only bearded dragon but there are several other lizards in the apt. including a 6 ft and a 3 ft monitor that both just live in the apt. in the open likes dogs.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 6 years ago.

With this description I am concerned about a couple of things.

Since he is a baby parasitism is always a possibility. Young animals can sometimes loose the battle when it comes to feeding their parasites and when this happens the dragons themselves stop eating. This is fairly easily diagnosed with a fecal sample at the vets. The other two possibilities are a minor intestinal infection causing nausea and not eating, if this is the case a round of simple antibiotics will make a dramatic difference. Because you are describing wasting or weight loss the third possibility of adenovirus is possible. Adenovirus is passed from beardie to beardie usually via the mother. The virus can lie dormant for a long time or get to work early in life. The hallmark symptom of adenovirus is a healthy lizard that won't eat and wastes away. This can be tested for by swabbing his mouth or rear end with an experienced vet. We hope it is not adenovirus as there is no cure. I would consider a vet appointment for a fecal test, adenovirus test, and a round of antibiotics. It sounds like the environment is pretty good as long as he has not been feeding on sand or bark bedding. If he was then impaction of the bedding in his intestinal tract is also possible and is diagnosable by xray and curable through surgery.

I hope this helps, if you have more questions, please ask.

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's hard for me to get a sample since he's not eating he's not really going to the bathroom. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to get a sample to be tested?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 6 years ago.
Usually the vet can stimulate a sample in the office. The vet will want a fresh one anyway because protozoal infections can only be detected in the firs 15 min otherwise they die and will be undetectable.

Dr. Dan