Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

my dog, a minitured snauser 9 1/2 years old had surgery to

my dog, a minitured snauser 9 1/2 years old had surgery to remove A tumor 7 days ago, the dog will not eat, and if a small amount of anything is taken in,it usually throws it up in just a short time. i am worried that the dog is not being nurished and recovery seems very slow. he is drinking liquids and is able to urinate,
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Christian K. :

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer.

Dr. Christian K. :

Was any testing done before surgery such as blood work or x-rays? Where was the tumor removed from?

Customer :

blood work was done, however i don't know what the results were, except it was said that surgery was ok. The tumor was attached to the spleen, it weighted 2.2 kilios. the dog was about 10 kilos befor the operation. A xray was taken that showed the mass

Dr. Christian K. :

That's a big tumor. Can you check his gums for me? Are they a normal pink color?

Customer :

not as pink as normal but has some color, same for the ears

Dr. Christian K. :

It's normal for some blood loss to occur after a surgery like that. Some anemia would be expected but if it worse than normal it could cause this as well. Can you check her rectal temperature?

Customer :

i have no means to check the temp, do you think it is just a very slow process? i am worried that no food in 7 days is a bad sign

Dr. Christian K. :

It is a very bad sign. I'm very concerned that there is either an infection, some underlying problem that was worsened by the surgery (such as kidney or liver disease) or even a problem caused by the cancer itself if it had a chance to spread to other parts of the body before it was removed. Regardless of the cause he should be seen by a vet, hopefully tonight but if no then tomorrow morning at the latest. At the very least perhaps some appetite stimluants and fluids would help him feel well enough to eat.

Customer :

part of the problem is that we live in Cabo San Lucas Mexico, the vet that did the surgery seems to not have a clue. Other vets here are no better. We were not told that the tumor was cancer, i don't think they can check for that. what type of appetite stumulants would you reccommend?

Dr. Christian K. :

That is a problem. Intravenous valium sometimes works but that requires a veterinarian to give. Intravenous fluids are also very helpful since dehydration is also a main problem in these cases. I'm not sure how surgery is done down there but I hope they have good sterile technique. Otherwise I would be very worried about infection.

Customer :

I appreciate the help, we will take him back to the vet in the morning.

Dr. Christian K. :

Good luck. I hope he feels better soon.

Customer :

Thanks and regards

Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience: 12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior