Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Both of my dogs (chihuahua mix) have been licking their bottoms

Both of my dogs (chihuahua mix) have been licking their bottoms for a few weeks now. There was some dragging on the floor so I figured that their anal glands need to be expressed. I took one the groomer and had it done; my female however is not very people friendly and refused to be groomed. The male still licks the same area and they BOTH spend alot of time licking their fur right where their tail meets their body, on TOP (not under their tail). I'm really not sure WHAT is going on with them.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.
Hi there.

Do they appear to be scratching at all?

Did this start at the same time for both dogs?

thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They are scratching quite a bit as well, and yes it did start at the same time. They dont' have any fleas or anything. the female tends to get hives quite often as well but she has done this thru 2 moves so I'm not sure if it is environmental or not.
Thanks for the info.

It sure sounds like your 2 have developed allergies to something. This could be something that they have both come into contact with or pollen or anything else.

the best treatment for this is Benadryl at 1 mg per pound of their weights every 12 hrs for 7-10 days. This will stop the irritation and therefore stop the licking. This can be purchased at any pharmacy over the counter in the children's dept.

If this does not help, then your vet may need to treat with steroids to stop this process.

Good Luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oh that is great. I have Benadryl from when they got their shots. Is it ok if it is mixed with their food? Max I can usually manage to give it to him with the syringe but Mia isn't going for that (she is so spoiled!)
Oh, yes. Mix it i their food if that is easier.

Mine are pretty spoiled too so don't feel bad!!

Have a Great day!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much Dr. Loretta!!!
You are very welcome!!
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.