Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

Hello there, ive had my cat for 15 months now an she hisss

Hello there, i've had my cat for 15 months now an she hiss's at me an me only everytime i go near her. Am a male, the thing is i first got her at the age of three weeks old by a friend who find her dumped in a box. I was wondering if this has anything too do with it?
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Scott :

Hello there,

Dr. Scott :

Has she been spayed?

Dr. Scott :

How long has the behavior problem been going on?

Dr. Scott :

Are there any other animals?

Dr. Scott :

Was she friendly before?

JACUSTOMER-g01auwsw- :

She has not been spayed

Dr. Scott :

Are there any other animals?

Was she friendly before?

JACUSTOMER-g01auwsw- :

No not since i got her at three weeks old

JACUSTOMER-g01auwsw- :

We do have another cat in the house at the same age which we got from a pet shop an she is ok with me

Dr. Scott :

I would suspect there are several factors going on. One, the cat is not spayed and is old enough to breed. Your male hormones may be stimulating the reaction. The cat was taken from the mother much too young and was never properly socialized. Kittens should not be weaned until 8 weeks of age. Most kittens removed too young develop behavioral problems. The other factor is that she is female. Female cats are more territorial than males and more often have aggression issues. There are also mean cats the same as there are mean people. It may just be her personality. Spaying the cat may help some, but it takes 3-4 months for the hormones to fade from the body. She may not change after surgery. There are medications that can be used for aggression and bad behavior, but one is usually needed on and off long term. Oviban, amitriptyline and Prozac are most common.