Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Our 1 1/2 year old Cavapoo-about 14 pounds, got into something

Our 1 1/2 year old Cavapoo-about 14 pounds, got into something yesterday (either an overdose of cat feces or cat vomit) and was really sick yesterday with vomitting and diarhhea. We are pretty certain it was one of these two things (disgusting I know), because we are constantly having to keep her out of the litter box, and our cat got sick yesterday after he ate some of my house plants. She is very lethargic today. SHe does bark when the doorbell rings, etc. but you can tell she is not herself. She has vomitted a couple of times today, nothing like yesterday. Yesterday, it was so foul smelling we were all on the verge of getting sick ourselves. How do you know when your pet needs to see a vet. It certainly isn't in the budget and I think she will be fine once it gets out of her system. What is your advice
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.
Good Morning!

From what you have told me, it appears that your dog has a mild digestive disturbance. This could be from this odd things that was eaten. The best thing to do for this is to fast your dog for 24 hrs. This allows the digestive tract to calm down and heal. Then give her Pepto Bidmol at 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of her weight every 8 hrs. After the fast, feed a meal of boiled chicken and rice. If the disturbance has resolved, wean your dog back onto the regular food over 2 days.

It is extremely important that if your girl continues to vomit or have severe diarrhea, that you have her seen by a vet immediately. Even the dehydration will causes severe problems for your dog and this must be taken care of right away.

If your girl is still having difficulties, you will need a veterinary exam to be sure we have not missed something. This disturbance could be more severe such as an intestinal obstruction or other infectious agent or a pancreatitis.

Good luck!!.