Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

What treatment should be used for rabbits with chronic bloat and very distended stoma

Customer Question

What treatment should be used for rabbits with chronic bloat and very distended stomachs. Medcine advised must be available in South Africa otherwise of no use as proven by me pursuing various web sites offering help in this regard by suggesting USA or UK patented medicines.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Steven Osborne :

Hi, I'm Dr.Steve and I will try to help you. I see you are offline, so I am switching to Q&A Mode to continue this discussion easier.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Hello again, there are many factors to consider when dealing with bloat in rabbits and many different aspects to treating bloat and preventing it. Here is a website that has a great deal of detail on the subject ,I use it often and really like the information. I hope you find it helpful. www.biomiami.edu/hare/ileus.html . Please click the accept button if this has helped or the reply button if you have further questions. I will be checking in throughout the day. Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
"Dr. Steven Osborne :
Hi, I'm Dr.Steve and I will try to help you. I see you are offline, so I am switching to Q&A Mode to continue this discussion easier."

In fact I am on line and still awaiting some form of response or answer.
The web site to which you have refered does not help as it refers to medication which is unavailabile in RSA which is what I mentioned in my original question to which you have replied.Further, I have visited this site some time back of my own finding. Though very informative it does not help for reasons already said.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I was merely referred to a web site which I have long since viewed of my own findings
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.

Hello!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I will certainly try to give you more detail but first I have a question. I am drawing a mental blank on where RSA is.

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
RSA = Republic of South Africa Or better known as South Africa. Hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the information.

Typically simethicone is of little use because in rabbits it's a free gas bloat not a frothy bloat so simethicone's action does not work.

Typically the primary treatment is 4 components

1. High fiber diet

2. hydration

3. pain control

4. intestinal motility

So for the high fiber diet the diet should be 90% grass hay and limited to no pellets, starches and nuts/seeds, for the hydration usually sweetened liquids will help so the equivalent of Gatorade or pedialyte, (electrolytes and water are very helpful). In severe cases the fluids need to be given under the skin. As for medications the best for pain control that is available in RSA is butorphanol, and the motility agent is called metoclopramide a.ka. betaclopramide in RSA.

I hope this helps, best wishes.

Dr. Dan

Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience: 10 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Dr Dan. The medications you have mentioned are unfamiliar to me and therefore I have not tried them. Your explained mechanics and functions of the mentioned medication make sense. Sub Q equipment I have on hand and I have been using same extensively but so far to no avail. Also the hay factor and the total removal of pellets is something which I have also been practicing. I will get out there tomorrow and source the medication which you have suggested. I just hope that it is available. Thanks again for your help in this must disturbing matter.
Regards, Peter.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.

Good luck! Don't give up on the fluids as they are only one part of a many part treatment.

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dr. Dan. I realize it's been some time since you advised me of the medication which I should administer to the affected rabbits. The short and the tall of it is that I tried a total of eight pharmacies and all I was able to obtain, with regard to the intestinal motility, was a suspension containing metoclopramide monohydrochloride at 5mg per 5 ml. This medication is an anti-emetic for pregnant woman and was the only available containing your prescribed metoclopramide. The butorphanol you prescribed for pain was unheard of by all eight pharmacists. Due to this I have switched to using an unsweetened pediatric pain and fever medication marketed as Ibugesic. It's orange flavored and contains 100mg Ibuprofen per 5ml.

As I write I have another 4 x 8 week old rabbits in the "hospital" section with that dreaded bloat.

I am continuing to treat them with the medication as said above, and not the medication previously used, together with the hydration methods also as said but don't have much hope for their survival as the 19 I have subsequently lost to the same condition.

Regards,

Peter

Having used these new medications I am no better off with the survival rate than before and that includes the implementation sub q and oral hydration.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the information the first thing you need to do is to STOP the ibugesic, this will cause stomach ulcers and kidney failure for sure. This medication will only increase your death loss.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dr Dan.

I will stop using the ibugesic. May be I have been looking for butorphanol in the wrong places. Is it a human or veterinary medication as the pharmacists I have spoken to are totally unfamiliar with the medication? Is there perhaps something else which I could use which is dispensed by a pharmacist, (for human consumption)? I just can't stand seeing them suffer in pain the way they do. (The teeth grinding and the whimpers.)