Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Hello, My name is Erik and i have a male short haired Guinea

My name is XXXXX XXXXX i have a male short haired Guinea pig about 2 years old. He has been scratching his back lately and i have noticed a quarter sized bald spot with smaller scabbing areas in the center of his back about 3 inches up from his tail. The scabs are dry. We provide a balanced diet for him with plenty of water and keep his cage very clean. There are no other symptoms otherwise and except for his recent frequent scratching, appears comfortable.
What do you recommend?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.
Good Morning, Erik.

This lesion is either a fungal infection or a secondary bacterial infection from an irritation that has caused your little guy to scratch at this area and allow these bacteria to invade. The best thing to try is to apply Betadine to this area every 8 hrs. This can be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter and acts to dry out this area so the fungus or bacteria cannot grow. This will take 2-3 weeks to resolve.

If he does not respond to his, have your vet examine him and do a skin scraping to determine what is causing this such as a parasite or other infection. This does not sound like a metabolic defect.

Good luck!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help. I will try the Betadine and hopefully it will work.
You are very welcome!!

Have a Great day!!