Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

When I was expressing my Malteses anal glands about a week

When I was expressing my Maltese's anal glands about a week ago, I noticed these yellow, seed looking thing on his tail and around his anus. I cleaned them off, but they keep coming back. They look like seasame seeds. They are hard and yellow. Could he have an internal parasite that his laying eggs? He has not lost his appetite or weight. Please let me know if I need to take him to the vet for examination.
Good Morning!

There are no parasites that lay eggs or even look like what you are describing. The only parasites that will be large enough to see and be in this area would be tapeworms and these will be white and look like grains of rice. This does not seem serious but just to be safe, take a few of these into your vet on a piece of tape. They can look at these under the microscope to see what they may be. I wonder f they could be some seeds that are somewhere that your guy is defecating or urinating.

Good Luck!