Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

my sons dog was foaming at the mouth periodically and vomiting

my sons dog was foaming at the mouth periodically and vomiting also loss of bowel control with blood in the stool we are wondering if he might have been poisoned
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Scott :

Hello there,

Dr. Scott :

Has the dog been vaccinated and wormed?

Dr. Scott :

Is he able to keep water down?

Dr. Scott :

Did he get into anything you know of? Garbage, table scraps, toxins?

Dr. Scott :

How long has this been going on?

Customer :

my son said he threw up for 2 days..........4 days ago and stopped but threw up this morning and yes he has kept some water down. He saw foreign dog food in his vomit because he only gives him a Very Good dog food that is a specific kind so he knew it was someone elses dog food. Also there was some poisonings in the neighborhood several monjths ago. Yes he has had his shots and I think wormed..

Customer :

my son said he is on the 4th day and keeps water down, has had shots, threw up for 2 days and stopped until this a.m. with blood in the bowels.....he has foreign dog food in the vomit......there was several poisonings in the neighborhood several months ago.

Dr. Scott :

If the dog got into any other dog food it can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Many dogs have very sensitive stomachs to diet change. Most things someone would poison a dog with will kill within 24-48 hours. Testing for specific poisons is very expensive when you don't know what was given. Blood tests to check the liver and kidney function will tell if any type of poison was ingested. If the dog was given something high in fat, like a hot dog, it can cause bloody diarrhea. If water is staying down, Pepcid AC or Prilosec OTC can be used at 2.5 mg per 10 pounds body weight every 24 hours to settle the stomach. Pepto Bismal can be used at 1 tablespoon per 20 pounds body weight every 8 hours as needed for the diarrhea. If the medicine does not stay down or the dog refuses to eat he needs to be examined and have blood tests done. If he got into anything else, an obstruction or pancreatitis could also be causing these signs. A bland diet of boiled chicken and rice, no bones, can be offered in small meals to stimulate the appetite. If the bloody stool persists, he should be examined before anemia sets in.