Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery
31531426

I live in Naples FL, and I have 34 chickens that are about

Customer Question

I live in Naples FL, and I have 34 chickens that are about 4 months old.
I discovered over a month ago that 1/2 the flock was infected with coccidiosis. Since the nearest chicken vet was 2 hours away I treated the entire flock with a sulfur medication (recommended from a vet by phone). The treatment was for 5 days along with an antibiotic in the water as well. The flock is kept in a ventilated barn in which I removed all floor shavings and bedding and bleached entire area and replaced shavings. I waited 2 weeks and retreated the flock again with medication only for 5 days. There were no deaths and the flock seems to be healthy as to date. My biggest concern is once the birds start laying eggs (which will be 1 or 2 months from now) will I be able to eat the eggs since the birds had this parasite? also if I decided to cull any of the birds that were infected can the meat be eaten?
Everything online about this parasite does not really explain if the birds truly recover after the sickness, or if the parasite really leaves the host.
Do I just keep all 34 as pets and when eggs are produced disguard the eggs?
Please advise...
Michele-
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Steven Osborne :

Hi, I'm Dr. Steve and I have a few questions. Do you remember exactly which sulfa drug was used to treat the coccidiosis? How was the coccidiosis diagnosed? Was a fecal exam performed or was it over the phone based on clinicla signs? What symptoms did you see when you decided to treat them for coccidiosis. Thank you.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

I think we are having computer problems i see you are typing and then the screen says you have stepped out and re-entered this chat 8 times in the last 5 minutes. I am switching to Q&A mode to see if that helps. We can continue this discussion that way. Thank you

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Please leave your reply in this box and I will respond to it in the morning. I will be checking in throughout the morning. thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Corid was the treatment used mixed in their water.
I decribed the stool to the vet over the phone (bloody) The birds also huddled and were really sleepy. The feathers were really ruffled too.

The past two days I noted that some of the stool in the barn is grayish/white which I think is Healthy but I also noted some stool that is a peagreenish color?
I thought perhaps since I just inroduced them to the "runner" pen outside in the grass 3 days ago and maybe the vegatation is creating this pea-green stool? Or are they getting sick again?
The soiled shavings/bedding from the infected was placed in a remote area on the property, so I don't think this is the problem.
Good Morning, if the chickens are acting healthy and not huddling and their appetite is OK, the stool color could be from the grass. As for the withdrawal for eggs and meat. The Corid label says not to use in adult chickens so there is no withdrawal information. I need to speak to a technical service vet from the company to see what they say about this. Do you remember what the antibiotic was that you used along with the corid?
I have spoken with the manufacturer of corid and I have an answer, but I need to know the concentration of the corid you used. Was it the 9.6% or the 20%? Thank you
I am sorry I think the system sent a reminder about accepting this answer, but since you have not responded to my info request, you don't have to click the accept. If you still need this question answered, just reply with the info I need and I can continue to help you. If you have found the info somewhere else, then good luck and thanks fo rusing just answer.