Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a nine week old Shih Tzu who has some blood in her stools.

I have a nine week old Shih Tzu who has some blood in her stools. She has to go alot. The breeder gave me some Albone telling me that it could be coccidia. She is rather spunky inspite of the problem. Do you think this is what she has and if so what should she be taking. She probably only weighs 2 lbs currently, but this little girl loves to eat. No throwing up either.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Other than the bloody stool she is behaving normal, right?

2- How long have you had her?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We got her yesterday and she does seem very normal other than the stools and the number of times she goes.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

If she is going often, she has colitis (inflamed colon) and yes, coccidia is one of the parasites that could cause this problem. However, there are other parasites like giardia that can cause similar problems and the albon will not treat. She needs to be on another medication called Metronidazole. I would advise you to have your veterinarian examine her. At the same time they can check her stool and give you additional medication. It is always a great idea to have an independent veterinarian examine a recently purchased puppy. In the meantime, give her 1/4 of a teaspoon of plain yogurt twice a day. The bacteria in the yogurt will help to heal the intestinal mucosa. Add some rice to her puppy food. Make certain she eats something every 4-6 hours to avoid hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) which is common in toy breed puppies. Once she is older than 16 weeks she can go longer periods without food.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

PD: Make certain to take a stool sample to the office visit with your veterinarian.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.