Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

My 5-1/2 year old Jack Russell Terrier within the last two

My 5-1/2 year old XXXXX XXXXX Terrier within the last two days looks as though she has lost weight. Her stomach is really sagging and we've noticed a lump just to the right of her backbone. She is very lethargic, but doesn't to be suffering any pain. Her appetite is still good. Should we be concerned?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.
Hi there.

This sagging stomach could be due to a heart condition or a liver condition. Both of these conditions will cause a fluid build up in their abdomen and give this kind of look as if she is bloated. If this is the case, then your vet will have to examine her to determine what is causing this and then how best to treat this. This mass you see may be unrelated to this condition and this may be a fatty tumor or lipoma which is benign and not harmful. These are painless and movable under the skin and you can get your fingers all around this mass.

If this continues, have your vet examine your girl. I do believe that she will require treatment so this condition does not worsen.

Good luck!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would this sagging stomach make her look as though she has lost a lot of weight?
Yes, if the stomach is sagging and you can see her ribs and backbone, then this is probably ascites which is fluid being built up in her abdomen. This is either due to a heart condition or a liver disease. Because of her age, this is probably due to a heart condition which can be treated.