Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

I have a 12 year old 1/2 Wheaton 1/2 Irish Terrier mix named

I have a 12 year old 1/2 Wheaton 1/2 Irish Terrier mix named Chetze. She has been the sweetest dog. I think she had a stroke. She drools when she sleeps, slightly drags a foot. She wanders the house all the time. My second dog is a 2 1/2 year old Boston Terrier named Snickers. When Chetze first got sick she was very weak and the two of them have started fighting. They used to be friends and played together. I was thinking maybe it was a survival of the fitest thing going on. Chetze is stronger now thank goodness. This fighting happens 5 days out of 7.They had a fight this morning and drew a little blood from Snickers. I really can't tell who starts the fight. This morning Chetze really drew up her lips (for lack of a better word) and snarled and growled at Snickers. I told Chetze no and Snickers reacted to that and the fight was on. Chetze does sometimes growl at me now. This has never happened. I really love both my dogs. I don't know how to stop the fighting. This has all happened in the last month. Thank you for any help. I don't want to come home after work to an injured dog. Laurel
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.
HI Laurel.

This aggression is most likely due to some neurologic defect that has occurred due to the stroke. Sometimes, they have a form of Senility that makes them forgot that Snickers was Chetze's friend in the past and now she thinks of Snickers as an intruder.

The best thing to do is to have your vet examine Chetze to determine what has caused this neuorlogic issue. This could be due to the stroke or liver damage which will also cause neurologic defects. It may help to treat Chetze for the effects of the stroke which may release the nerves that have been affected to cause this aggression. There are also medications such as Reconcile which act as a calming agent and will decrease this aggression.

Your vet will also have medication for Canine Dementia or Cognitive Dysfunction Disorder and this may help to bring back Chetze's memory.

Good luck, Laurel!