Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My dog was recently diagnosed with diabetes and is currently

My dog was recently diagnosed with diabetes and is currently on insulin. She is doing well. My question is food. My local veterinarian recommended a high fiber food which she absolutely will not eat, no matter how it is disguised. Is there a commercial food which would equal the nutritional content of "Hills" WD prescription food?

I am not particularly actually going to even recommend a high fiber food.

I would actually talk to your about doing a food that is actually designed for diabetes.

That would include Science Diet M/D or Purina DM diets.

If your vet carries neither, ask for a written prescription and you can simply get it from someone else. These foods are literally formulated to help deal with diabetes, including the restricted carbohydrate content. That is what I would do.

If there is anything I have not covered for you, please use the REPLY button, and I will happily continue to chat. I hope you have found my advice helpful or informative. Please remember to click the "ACCEPT" button (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBING MEMBER). Just Answer will not credit me for the time assisting you, and it helps me to recognize that we are finished. Leaving feedback and a bonus is not required, but is greatly appreciated!

Please excuse any delays in my responses, as I regularly attend to hospitalized patients and daily examinations. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion and follow-up, if needed.

If you would like to ask any NEW questions in the future, you may request me through my profile @

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does Purina DM require a Rx?