Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
20804272

Hi, doctor. My question is about our 11 year old girl, an

Customer Question

Hi, doctor.

My question is about our 11 year old girl, an orange tabby named Abigail.

Six years ago, she was disgnsed with an abdominal lymphoma. We had an ultrasound done with confirmed the diagnosis, and she was not giveb 3-4 months to live. At that time, her vet (since retired) put her on predisolne 5mg per day. On another follow, her blood glucose was up to 30.0, so the vet discontinued the pred. We know Abby has diabetes as we.. I previously had a cat who needed frequent glucose readings from his ear, and I just can't cause that kind of pain to a cat. So far, Abby's is wonderful, she is very affectionate, but is having trouble jumping on to furniture, etc. The vet says her teeth need cleaning, which is prohibitively expensive to us, as Abby has 9 unrelated siblings. Er did have one cat have his teeth done, only to have him put down the next day for liver cancer. Abby has certainly beet the odds, it's been 6 years since she was diagnosed. Is the anything we had do to make her more comfortable. She is the dearest little girl you ever met.

Thanks

Don
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Lee :

Hi Don. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Dr. Lee :

When was the last time Abby had her diabetes checked? Either via glucose curve or fructosamine testing and urinalysis?

Dr. Lee :

Is she still eating and drinking normal?

Dr. Lee :

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Dr. Lee :

Any coughing or sneezing?

Dr. Lee :

Hello? Are you still there?

Dr. Lee :

It looks like you are offline. I will switch over to Q&A session.

Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.

Hi. If you can please give me more information as requested above so I can better understand the situation and help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX diabetes has not been cheated with eith or those methods.. Just the glucometer from the ear. Abby eats and drinks very week, although she is a slim cat. She has no diarrhea, although very few days she does vomit up a small about of whitish fluid. She has not has any cold symptoms. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the info.

The weakness you are seeing could be either from deterioration of diabetes into diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), arthritis, cancer (other types of cancer and/or lymphoma), or kidney and liver issues. Unfortunately, there is really nothing you can do at home to help with the situation. She needs to go see your vet for exam, bloodwork, urinalysis, and possibly x-rays. If it is DKA, then she will need a better diabetic management with insulin and glucose curve. If it is simple arthritis, then specific cat pain killer is needed. For kidney and liver issues, it really depends on what the problem is, might or might not be curable. Cats cannot take any human over the counter pain medications as that can lead to kidney failure very quickly.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

Dr. Lee, Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I thank you for your knowledge doctor, but we simply have not the financial resources for all you recommend. We have already spent more than 15,000 dollars on vet care on during the last year, and all five of the cats we took for care died. I hope vet medicine improves soon, as I'm sure you do too.
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.

You do not necessarily have to do all the tests right away, you can take him to your vet first and get an exam done, and hopefully that can tell us a little more on what's going on. And instead of running the entire battery of tests, we can simply pin point at a couple things, the liver, kidney, and diabetes, and perhaps that can lower the cost down as well.