Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  19 years working as a full time veterinarian
2263760

My litttle Schipperke has developed a cough. Her immunizations

My litttle Schipperke has developed a cough. Her immunizations are up to date (including kennel cough) and she has not been around other dogs. Any advise?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Gabby :

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer.

Dr. Gabby :

How long has she been coughing?

Dr. Gabby :

Does she have any nasal drainage or sneezing?

Dr. Gabby :

Does she have a productive cough or is she coughing up anything?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She ahs only had a cough for 2 days. mIt is intermittent. She does not have any nasal drainage or sneezing. BTW we live in Colorado, if that helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She has been coughing for 2 days. No nasal drainage or sneezing. We live in Colorado, if that may help.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 years ago.

Thank you.

Is she still eating and drinking?

If you squeeze up and down on the trachea, in her throat, does that make her cough?

Is she still playing and active?

Can you lift up her lip and check her gum color please?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She is not cyanotic. She is still palying and active and manipulating her trachea does not cause her to cough or have any other problems. Yes she is still eating and drinking.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was mistaken. Manipulating her trachea does indeed cause her to cough.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 years ago.

Thank you.

If she coughs when you press on her trachea then it is infectious tracheobronchitis or kennel cough. Good detective work on your part.

Kennel cough is a layperson's term for upper respiratory infection or infectious tracheobronchitis. I know she has had the vaccine to prevent it. She may have picked up a different strain then the one she was vaccinated with. It is similar to us humans getting the flu shot. It will prevent the flu as long as we were vaccinated with the correct strain of flu virus.

I would try giving her plain robitussin every 6 hours as needed for coughing. If she is about 20 pounds, you can give her 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon every 6 hours. When you take a shower, bring her into the bathroom and steam out her respiratory tract. You can run a humidifier for her as well. You can take her temperature with a rectal thermometer. Normal temperature for a dog is 100 to 102.5 degrees fairenheit.

If her cough worsens or becomes producive, she stops eating, she has difficulty breathing, or her gums look pale, then she should see the vet.

I hope this helps.