Dr. Brian M.
Dr. Brian M., Veterinarian
Experience:  17 years of veterinary experience in companion animal and exotic medicine and surgery
45594546

I have a 8.6 year old female wheaten terrier. She has had years

I have a 8.6 year old female wheaten terrier. She has had years of what we suspected to be pancreatitis. 2 weeks ago she was eating very little and would vomit about every 5 days passively. I took her to the er last Friday because her abdomen was very bloated. They were able to see masses in her liver on an ultrasound but were unable to do an aspirate ultrasound due to prolonged clotting times. They made 3 attempts to correct clotting times with no luck. I took her home because she seemed very traumatized when I went to visit her and wasn't sure if they corrected clotting times how safe it would be to continue with any type of biopsy. She was given clavamox and vitamin k. I am unsure where to go from here any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 6 years ago via Maybeckvet.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Brian M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Brian It would be extremely dangerous to attempt any type of liver biopsy in a dog with elevated clotting times. This could result in fatal bleeding. It is very common in liver issue cases to have abnormal clotting times as the liver is used in making clotting factors. It is possible that the clotting abnormality can be corrected in time with vitamin k therapy, so you will need to wait until the clotting times normalize to proceed with any type of biopsy.