Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have a 3 month old lamb with a very runny stool. I have

Customer Question

I have a 3 month old lamb with a very runny stool. I have tried giving her probiodics and pepto bismol (at the suggestion of the person who sold us the lamb). The lamb has not gotten better and is losing a considerable amount of weight. What should I do???
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.
Hi there.

These are the best antidiarheal medications to help this lamb. because there has not been improvement, I would worry that this lamb may have either Coccidia or Giardia which will cause this diarrhea. Take a sample of this stool to your vet to determine what organism is causing this and then the correct medication can be given. If this is Coccidia, Corid is the treatment of choice and if this is Giardia, metronidazole of the treatment of choice.

Good Luck!!