Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

Last night used Adams flea drops on our cat and now he is having

Last night used Adams flea drops on our cat and now he is having muscle spasms and other nervous problems. What to do? Resources are limited. Thanks
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Scott :

Hello there,

Dr. Scott :

Were the drops made for cats or dogs?

Customer :

Dogs, 18 - 30 lbs. half the tube

Customer :

Cat weighs about 18 to 20 lbs.

Customer :

Adams brand

Dr. Scott :

Dog flea products can never be used on cats. This reaction is very typical. The cat should be bathed with dilute Dawn dish soap to get the residual chemicals off the skin. Once the chemical is absorbed into the bloodstream there is no way to get it out. The body must metabolize it. if the cat starts having seizures she needs to be placed on IV fluids for several days to flush the chemicals out. The only thing to do at home is to bathe the cat and force feed food and water with a syringe until the chemical clears the body. Onion-free jarred baby food, chicken or turkey, works best. If she won't take food or water she needs to be hospitalized. The reaction can be fatal if seizures occur.

Customer :

Is activated charcoal powder helpful if ingested? Is the chicken or turkey helful just because of its atractivness or it actually helps with the ailment? He has beeb eating a little bit of regular dry cat food.

Dr. Scott :

Activated charcoal does not help in these cases as the chemical is already in the bloodstream. It only helps when toxins are ingested. The baby food helps prevent the blood sugar from dropping due to the tremors and is easy to force feed.

Customer :

How long until it passes and can there be long term affects? it seems he is not holding his water as well.

Dr. Scott :

The duration of the effect depends on how much got into the bloodstream. If it was applied last night and not immediately washed off, a large dose got into the cat. The effect could last several days. If he survives the poisoning there should be no long term problems.

Customer :

At 4 am is when we realized somthing was wrong, his whole body shook pretty violently, whould this be tremors, muscle spasms or a siesure? Is there a dfferance in all these?

Dr. Scott :

Tremors and muscle spasms are the same thing. Seizures cause loss of consciousness and inability to stand.

Customer :

Will proceed with bathing, keeping him warm and baby food and watch him, Thanks for your help, Dr. Scott

Dr. Scott :

You are very welcome. Good Luck!

Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.