Dr. Jaime
Dr. Jaime, Veterinarian
Experience:  Avian/exotic practice owner, 10 yrs. exotic rescue, 3yrs. private practice, 2yrs. wildlife medicine.

how much does skunks eat

Customer Question

how much does skunks eat per day in the wild
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jaime replied 6 years ago.

I'm Dr. Jaime and I'd like to help. Skunks are generally solitary animals unless they are in breeding season. In the cooler months females may den together for warmth. Males are more solitary.

Skunks tolerate other family members but in general are solitary.

Domestic skunks may get along, but can be very aggressive to each other during breeding season, January to March.

If you have further questions, please click reply. Otherwise if you are satisfied with my response, please click accept.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok and by the fwc what are the additional safty requirements you must meet to maintain the animals as personal pets in florida thats for a skunk and raccoon please help me

Expert:  Dr. Jaime replied 6 years ago.
Without proper permits it is illegal to harbor any wild animal. Please do not consider keeping a wild animal. Wild skunks and raccoons harbor rabies and should not be kept as pets. For more reading please see:

If you are interested in learning more about permitting requirements, I recommend that you contact Captain XXXXX XXXXXon at(NNN) NNN-NNNNto discuss requirements for your state regarding keeping wild animals. She is the Wildlife Permit Officer for the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission.

If you have found a wild animal, please contact a wildlife rehabilitator in your area.

In FL it is legal to keep DOMESTICATED skunks with a permit. You can get more information by contacting Captain Harrison.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i dont have a skunk or racooon now i was working on my permit now so im tryin to complete it so if i do have to help someone with the, thats all i dont really want one all that bad lol i just need help with some info n im willing to pay :)
Expert:  Dr. Jaime replied 6 years ago.
Okay, I see you changed your initial question from "Are skunks solitary or social" to "How big to skunks get."

The North American striped skunk weighs from 0.75-4 kg. The tail length is 180-435 mm and the head, body length is 280 mm.

I hope this helps and answers all of your questions.

If you are satisfied with my responses please click accept.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i need the skunk like i have it for the raccoon if you could please do that

length 24'38" plus 8-16" tail weight 20 - 35 lbs

Expert:  Dr. Jaime replied 6 years ago.
The North American Raccoon's body length varies from 40 to 70 cm and weighs from 3.5 to 9 kg.

Edited by Dr. Jaime on 8/12/2010 at 9:45 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how much do skunks eat as adult per day in the wild last question then ill accept
Expert:  Dr. Jaime replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately I do not know the answer to this question, and I would suggest you repost that question separately from this thread.

It is probably a function of their metabolic energy requirements, availability of food and season. There are several articles you can pay for (i.e. thesis, studies) that detail the stomach contents for wild striped skunks Mephitis mephitis.

You can do a search at Pubmed for articles here.

Good luck in finding your answer and I am sorry that I can not assist you further. I hope that you are satisfied with the answers I have provided for the other 3 questions you have asked.

Please click accept if you are satisfied with my responses to your initial question.