Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

my yorkie was outside. Allof a sudenn she was limping and is

my yorkie was outside. All of a sudden she was limping and is chewing her foot and will not stop
the foot is involuntarily spazing out........she got bit, or a thorn,,,,,,no snakes we don't think
what should we do...
She is agitated, and we cannot see anything....
we can press on it, she is not limping as much....but clealr something is really bothering her.....
How can we calm her and sooth the site.....
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- What leg is affected?

2- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Back leg

she spent 20 minutes chewing it and now she has finally settled down.

can I wash it with something to sooth it. Area showed no thorns - we used a magnifying glass ---but she really chewed it up.... no bleeding.....

something really bothered her - the leg was shaking and spazing out.....but has calmed down now

salt water? ice?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

The first thing to do is stop her from chewing the paw or she will traumatize the skin and create another problem. If necessary either pickup an ecollar (cone) in your pet store or cover it with a sock. You can apply cold compresses on the paw if this is related to a soft tissue injury or you can soak in warm and cold water, 5 minutes each alternating each for 5 minutes. In addition, you could give her Buffered Aspirin 5-10mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. If within 24 hours of starting the aspirin she is not better, have her checked by your veterinarian.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter