Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of small animal veterinary medicine

My 9 y/o english bulldog has recently been put on phenobarbital

Customer Question

My 9 y/o english bulldog has recently been put on phenobarbital in conjuction with potassium bromide to control seizures. That has worked great but he is pacing through the house and panting very heavy at times. Is this a side effect of either of these drugs? And will it subside as time go by?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Bruce :

Dr. Bruce :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. Bruce :

How long has he been on the phenobarbitol? How long on the potassium bromide?

Customer:

I week on both

Customer:

he took the loading dose of KBr already

Dr. Bruce :

Ok. I'm very glad to hear that the medications have been doing well up to this point with the seizure control. As far as the pacing and panting, most definitely that could be a side effect of either drug and they body getting used to it. If it is due to them, then there is a very, very good chance that they will go away as he gets used to them.

Customer:

I thought it was odd that was not doing the pacing and panting until recently after the loading dose

Customer:

Is there a timeline when these side effects may subside?

Customer:

I will be sure to do that, and Thank you for your time

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of small animal veterinary medicine
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
I hope everything goes well! Seizures can be frustrating to control in some dogs and very easy to control in others.