Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

A year ago we bought six ex-battery hens. Two months ago we

A year ago we bought six ex-battery hens. Two months ago we found one lying dead on the shed floor - prior to this she had been having yellow liquid droppings and was listless. A couple of weeks later, another hen became ill with the same symptons and after three weeks she died also.

Unfortunately, we now have another hen displaying the same symptoms. We have recently wormed them with Flubenvet. The hen house is cleaned every day and the run is dug over at least once a week and they also have clean water every day. Can you help, please?

Wendy
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 years ago.
Hello Wendy, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of your health problems with your little flock.
Unfortunately, many different diseases can cause symptoms identical to those you've described.
Among the possible causes, the more common are colibacillosis and streptococcosis.
You can learn more about colibacillosis at: http://www.poultryhub.org/index.php/Colibacillosis
You can learn about strptococcosis at: http://www.worldpoultry.net/diseases/streptococcosis-d106.html
An invaluable aid to folks trying to keep chickens is "The Chicken Health Handbook" by Gail Damerow. This is the most sensible book I've found for small poultry producers (large ones too!) written in plain English, and beautifully organized to help you help your chickens. You can purchase this book from Storey Publishing for $19.95 plus shipping.
If I may be of further assistance to you, please let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. We have read your answer and it appears that we need to treat the hen with Penicillin or one of the other treatments. Can you please tell me in what form I may obtain this and where I may be able to get some or does this mean a visit to the local vet.

Thank you. Wendy.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 years ago.
Hello again.
You should be able to purchase antibiotics from your farm supply store.
It should be available in several forms, but a powder to add to their drinking water is the easiest and most effective. Of course your veterinarian can supply this as well.
Best regards,
Dr. Bob