Dr. Coldiron
Dr. Coldiron, Veterinarian
Experience:  Dogs, Cats, Birds, Reptiles & Exotics. Seven years of private practice experience. Laser Surgeon.
45820682

My dog has some normal and some red jelly slimy like feces. She is a dog who will eat any

My dog has some normal and some red jelly slimy like feces.
She is a dog who will eat anything- deer poop, etc so we have to watch her all the time.I work with SPCA in Texas and have 4 kittens and a mother on porch right now. Maybe she has been sneaking around andeating cat food. No other clues.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Coldiron replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Coldiron :

Hello...Dr. Coldiron here to discuss the issue with your dog.

Dr. Coldiron :

Sounds like she may have some hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE). This is usually due to dietary indiscretion like you discribe in your question. The main concern with gastroenteritis is dehydration from the vomiting and/or diarrhea. I would remove food for 24 hours, allowing consumption of water only during that time period. I would then feed a bland diet such as Purina EN or Hill's i/d etc. for the next few days.

Dr. Coldiron :

The other thing I would be concerned about would be a foreign body of some type in the intestine. Usually they are really sick (i.e., painful, vomiting, won't eat, lethargic, etc.) when they have a blockage of some type. I think I would try with-holding food for 24 hours and then the bland diet unless you think there is a possiblity of some type of foreign body ingestion.

Dr. Coldiron :

If the jelly-like feces doesn't clear on its own in a few days, or if her condition worsens, you should err on the side of caution and get her to a local vet as soon as possible.

Dr. Coldiron :

Any other clinical signs noted by you? Voming? Etc?

Customer:

I have given Minnie chewy bones (only when I am here) and keep them large so she won't ever choke on them. We also have a sheltie/papillon mix who isn't as interested but because Minnie has one she wants one. Then perhaps Minnie comes back and chews on Hannas --and gets too much of it? She likes to keep busy! I try to watch and take it away when it gets down to where it is 1/4 left or all a little slickness sets in. She likes to keep busy and loves squeeky toys, etc.

Dr. Coldiron :

There have been reports of almost every type of bone causing problems, but I rarely, if ever, see this be an issue.

Dr. Coldiron :

You may give her 1/4 tablet of Pepsid - AC twice daily to see if that helps her.

Customer:

Sorry, didn't realize I was already talking to you. She has vomited maybe 3 times in the last week or so with the same red rather thick looking liquid.

Dr. Coldiron :

If this continues to be an ongoing problem, I would have her checked out by a vet. It could be gastritis, gastroenteritis, or other causes, but you don't want it to be a foreign body blockage and you wait too long. Is she eating well on her own? Drinking water? Have any of her stools been normal recently or is the jelly-like substance all you are seeing?

Customer:

She acts like she feels great, always enthusiastic and ready to go, or eat, or play. No signs of being 'sick'. I see your message now. Sorry, this is the first time I've done this. I will get the Pepsid in the morning. We have a cat going to the vet for shots so will also touch base with him on this. Thanks so much for trying to help me. YES she is eating well on her own and drinking water. Some stools are normal and some red and jelly-like (maybe for 3 days off and on).

Dr. Coldiron :

Try the Pepsid, no food for 24 hours, water only, and then bland food for 2-3 days. And yes, check with your vet tomorrow and see what they suggest!

Dr. Coldiron :

Best Regards!

Customer:

PS she did not eat her breakfast this morning (unheard of!) so I made her some rice and added a little Lamb and rice canned food to it. Then I went to the grocery store and bought some Purina Lamb and Rice She gobbled that up tonight.

Dr. Coldiron :

Ok...just go easy on her...usually it is best to "rest" the intestines for 24 hours when these types of things occur. Keep me posted on her overall condition! Have a great evening!

Customer:

Thanks so much. I know you are busy. I appreciate it. Signing off soon.

Dr. Coldiron, Veterinarian
Experience: Dogs, Cats, Birds, Reptiles & Exotics. Seven years of private practice experience. Laser Surgeon.