Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

I own a 125lb female black bear and need to calm her for transporting

I own a 125lb female black bear and need to calm her for transporting what would be the best med to give easily I am a licensed owner of the bear
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
This is an interesting question!
While I know of no medication for this purpose specifically approved for use in bears, acepromazine is what I would suggest using for transporting her.
Actually, I'm not sure the FDA has approved anything for use in bears!
Acepromazine is used in many species, and is generally very safe and effective. I would suggest asking your veterinarian for a prescription.
The dose range is very wide in dogs - 0.55-2.2 mg/kg given every 8 hours, so I would definitely recommend a trial run with the medication before actually traveling with her on the drug. Start with the lower end of the range and gradually work your way up to the lowest dose that is effective for her.
If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in practice
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have to give this medication orally is the dossage the same
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Yes, what I described is the oral dose, for dogs, which should be close to that for bears.
Do be sure to do a trial run to see the effects and duration of the dose, though!
Good luck!
Dr. Bob