Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog has tons of red itchy pea-sized bumps all Ive her.

My dog has tons of red itchy pea-sized bumps all I've her. She is whining all the time. What can I do to help her? What is causing it?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr M D Edwards :

Hi there!

Dr M D Edwards :

Welcome to Justanswer

Dr M D Edwards :

Thanks for your question regarding your 5 year old girl

Dr M D Edwards :

How long has she had these pea-sized bumps for?

Dr M D Edwards :

Are you there?

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

I'm not sure if you could see that chat window, so I will contact you this way. Thanks for your question. How long has she had these bumps? How heavy is your girl? How much benadryl did you give her and how long ago did you give them?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Dr Edwards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She has had them since last night. She weighs 25 lbs. I gave her a half of a tablet of benedryl.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 years ago.
Hi again,

It definitely sounds as though she has hives which usually appear as part of an allergic reaction to something. It is most likely she came in to contact with a plant she is allergic to or got a sting yesterday at some point. If you were giving half of a 50mg benadryl tablet then this is ideal. The best dose for her would be 1mg per pound - ie. 25mg. So if you have 25mg tablets then you can give one of these 3 times per day (8 hours apart) and if you have 50mg tablets then continue with half a tablet up to 3 times per day. If the small red lumps are still present after a days worth of benadryl however, then you really should get her up to your local Vet clinic for a steroid injection also.

In the meantime you should also give her a bath - just in case there is something still on her coat that is causing this reaction.

Best of luck with you girl and perhaps try her on Benadryl for a further 24 hours, unless she is really upset and restless - otherwise off to your local Vet.

Thanks and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards