Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice

i am looking after my sisters dog while she is on holiday,

i am looking after my sisters dog while she is on holiday, she was fine until this morning when started being sick and off her food, we took her food away, but she is shaking is there anything we can do to help her?
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
Has she vomited?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, shes been vomiting all day.
Okay, thank you!
How long has the dog been with you?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
6 days
Okay, thank you again.
Many times dogs who are very attached to their owners will experience some degree of separation anxiety when separated from their owners, even when staying with people with whom they are very familiar. This can lead to gastroenteritis and even bloody diarrhea.
Today I would suggest using Pepto Bismol caplets, one per 15 kg bodyweight, every four hours for a total of four doses. Even if she should vomit the first couple of doses, stay with the program and finish the dosing. Pepto Bismol tends to calm down the GI tract even when some of it is vomited. Tomorrow, if she seems to be feeling better, try feeding her some boiled rice an cottage cheese or boiled chick, mixed half and half with the rice. Give her several small meals of one to two cups, spaced through the day. Repeat that for three days, then gradually over period of three or four days, start adding in her regular food a bit more each time until she's back on normal rations.
If she's not better tomorrow, or should seem to get worse in the interim, she'd better be seen by a veterinarian, since pancreatitis can be a possible outcome of severe digestive upset.
If you should have further questions, please let em know.
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where can i purchase pepto bismol caplets?
Most pharmacies carry them, it's a human medication that works wonderfully well in dogs.
There are three forms of Pepto Bismol manufactured, liquid, caplets and chewable tablets. The first two forms both work, but the caplets are much easier to give than the liquid, being flavorless and small. If you can only get the liquid form, give one teaspoonful per 5 kg bodyweight as directed.
The chewable tablets tend not to work so well, because dogs don't chew them, and they pass through the GI tract intact. They will work if crushed, however.
Good luck!
Dr. Bob