Dr. Coldiron
Dr. Coldiron, Veterinarian
Experience:  Dogs, Cats, Birds, Reptiles & Exotics. Seven years of private practice experience. Laser Surgeon.

i have got an anel corn snake that is about a yr and half who

i have got an anel corn snake that is about a yr and half who hasnt eaten in about 5 weeks.i have tried him with his usual mice feeds and he's not interested.he's not moving about very much and is not drinking any water.dont know what is wrong.please can you help,rachel
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Coldiron replied 3 years ago.

Hello...I'm Dr. Coldiron and I will attempt to help you with your veterinary question! Anorexia in snakes is relatively common. It can be difficult to fix; however, snakes can go a relatively long time without eating...they don't eat every week in the wild! Is your snake "in the blue" (herp terminology for getting ready to shed)? If your snake is in the process of shedding, he/she is not likely to eat due to problems with visualization. Make sure that your snake is not shedding. If it is shedding, make sure your humidity in the enclosure is relatively high, give ten minute warm water baths several times daily to help loosen skin, and make sure you are providing ample amount of heat in the enclosure. Are you feeding frozen mice or live mice? You may want to try a live hopper or small mouse, but make sure that you do not leave it in the enclosure if your snake doesn't eat it...this can result in severe damage to your snake from the mouse biting the snake! Consider having a reptile vet examine your snake for any problems. A fecal exam might be a good way to rule out any parasites. Regardless, using a broad spectrum dewormer to strategically deworm your snake may not be a bad idea. Also, vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin) injections often stimulate appetite in reptiles...you may want to ask your vet about this as well. Be patient, but check into the things mentioned above. It seems that 9 out of 10 times when I see a reptile for anorexia it is related to the condition of the environment, problems with shedding, or change in food type. Check into those things and if nothing seems to be problematic, strongly consider a consult with a reptile vet before this reluctance to eat lasts any longer!

Best Regards,

Dr. Coldiron

Dr. Coldiron, Veterinarian
Experience: Dogs, Cats, Birds, Reptiles & Exotics. Seven years of private practice experience. Laser Surgeon.