Dr. Erica
Dr. Erica, Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years of small animal practice, graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and Dartmouth College

my dogs film under her eye is swollen. She does not appear

my dog's film under her eye is swollen. She does not appear in pain. She also rubs her eye with her paw to clean the corners. Is there something I can buy over the counter to flush out her eye?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Erica replied 6 years ago.
The best thing to use would be saline solution that people use for contact lenses. Try flushing it a few times today. In addition, if it seems itchy, she can also take over the counter human benadryl. The dose is 1mg per pound and the adult capsules are 25mg. Therefore if she is around 25 pounds give her one, over 50 pounds give her 2, and if she is a small dog then give her 1 teaspoon of the children's benadryl. Try this today but if the eye is still bothering her tonight or tomorrow then she should see a vet to make sure she doesn't have a corneal scratch. If she does, then she will need prescription antibiotic eye ointment. If you have anything like this at home, I can let you know if it is appropriate. I hope this information helps. Good luck!