Dr. Coldiron
Dr. Coldiron, Veterinarian
Experience:  Dogs, Cats, Birds, Reptiles & Exotics. Seven years of private practice experience. Laser Surgeon.
45820682

My 15 yo cat was recently diagnosed with a lump on his thyroid

My 15 yo cat was recently diagnosed with a lump on his thyroid & prescribed chemo in the form of a pill to be taken everyday. he had and continues to have an insatiable appetite but in spite of consuming lg. amts. of food, has continuously gotten thinner and thinner until he is like a little skeleton. a new sympton is that his tummy is getting very distended and I havent noticed him being able to pass solids. he is still urinating in his litter box. he still seems to be content, purring and sleeping. is there anything that i can do at this point to make him confortable or to undo the blockage. I don't want to put him to sleep. Thank you so much. Liz
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Coldiron replied 6 years ago.

Hello...I'm Dr. Coldiron and I will attempt to help you with your veterinary question! Have you considered radioactive iodine therapy to treat the hyperthyroid issue? It rids you of giving pills twice a day and is relatively safe. As for the hard distended belly, your cat wouldn't likely be very content if he were blocked. Usually they are very painful when blocked. Because of his age and history, it is probably a good idea to get him to your vet so that they can at least feel of his belly and see if he is constipated, has a mass, a blockage, etc. The only real way to know is to have a doctor palpate the abdomen and possibly take a few radiographs. You may want to divide his food up into smaller portions and feed it more frequently throughout the day. You could also give him some Laxatone (or other hairball ointment) to see if this helps him. If you are really concerned though, time is of the essence when dealing with gastric issues such as blockages, so I would tell you to get him in to see the vet soon if you really suspect that this could be the problem.

Best,

Dr. Coldiron

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. My doc gave the chemo pill Rx because my cat was constantly crying for food and thought that might alleviate the hunger but he noted that it wasn't going to fix his thyroid issue. i have not wanted to take him in to the vet because it is always a traumatic event for him, but will reconsider. will also try the laxatone. best regards.

No problem...let me know how things go!

Best,

Dr. Coldiron