Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.

I just adopted a doberman pincher and his eyes are quit red,

Customer Question

I just adopted a doberman pincher and his eyes are quit red, with a heavy goopy diccharge. I have been told that Polymyxn opt sol eye drops would help this problem. Would this be a safe treatment for the dog?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
I can't tell you, without seeing your dog, if the Polymixin will work. However, it is safe to use. Usually you find it in a combination eye drop with Neomycin and Bacitracin. This combination is safe and should not do any harm.

If steroids are in the ointment or drops, that is a different matter. If the cornea of the eye is scratched, or damaged, the steroids will make it worse. I would not use drops with dexamethasone, betamethasone, prednisone, or anything ending with "one" until the eye is checked out by a veterinarian.

I also like drops with Tobramycin for eye infections. Sometimes Terramycin is effective as well. All of these would be safe, as long as there are no steroids.

Hope this helps, Rebecca