Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice

My cat is losing her fur on her legs and a smaller amount on

My cat is losing her fur on her legs and a smaller amount on her tail,she has been regularlily wormed and there is no flea or tick dirt present,she is eating and drinking her normal diet ,could you please help me by telling me if this is a condition that needs attending to.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr.Bob.
I'm sorry to read of your cat's condition.
I know you've written that you haven't found fleas, but if a cat has a flea allergy, a single flea bite may cause the symptoms you've described several days after the cat has groomed herself, and the flea is long gone.
Cats are extremely efficient groomers and can eliminate 99% of their fleas. They swallow them, unfortunately, but this can explain the symptoms in the apparent absence of fleas.
That thought in mind, have you been using a flea preventative such as Frontline or Advantage, regularly?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In reply to your question,yes I have used Advantage on her,and a preventative flea collar,and both these aids have been her only flea protection.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 years ago.
Okay, thank you!
We must eliminate the most likely suspects before we can narrow our field to what it may be.
Is the hair loss on her tail close to her body, on the base of the tail?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes the hair loss is at the base of her tail near the body,the rest of the hair loss is on all four limbs up to the first (knee joints)
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 years ago.
Okay thank you.
The distribution of the fur loss suggests an allergic skin reaction. this may be caused in an indoor cat by dust mites, insect dander, wool, or one of thousands of different allergens.
It could also be caused by stress-induced over grooming. When separated from those to whom they're attached, cats sometimes will resort to excessive grooming in an attempt to relieve stress.
As either of these causes could be responsible for the loss of fur, several weeks of your being back home will most likely yield your answer as to which it is, without doing anything else.
If it is stress related, the fur should start to grow back just by you're being there. If it's an allergy, you can expect it to worsen. Within six weeks of your being home the fur should be back to normal.
If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Dr. Bob